Wednesday 11 November 2009

Feeling some lows!

Blood glucose: 14.1mmol/l (254mg/dl)

I've been unaware of hypos for some months now, but today I've felt one low and one fast drop. This is pretty exciting for me because I hate it when I get really low (in the 1mmol/l range (20- to 36mg/dl before I test and realise what's going on.

Today I was 11.9 (214) at 1 hour after lunch. About half an hour later I tested again to see if I was dropping or whether I needed to correct, and saw a 3.4 (61). I treated, and about 5 minutes later I started getting huge low symptoms. At first I just couldn't think straight, but then I walked upstairs to my locker (I didn't want to be around people) and my legs started shaking and the muscles felt like they were twitching. It was very scary to feel so weak and powerless again after all this time, but quite a relief in a way, because if I start being able to feel lows at around 3mmol/l, that gives me a bit of leeway before anything serious happens.

I accidentally overtreated and bounced up to 12ish (216) and then dropped to 6.2 (112) in half an hour. And I felt low again!

It's funny that I can say the horrible experience of feeling hypo made me feel relieved. But it did. And it still does. Here's to hoping today wasn't a fluke and warning symptoms are coming back for good.

No comments:

Post a Comment