Sunday 1 November 2009

A Brief Introduction

Blood glucose: 17.5mmol/l (315mg/dl).

At 10PM UK time I suddenly realised that NaBloPoMo starts today. Seems a fitting month: (American [but I forget about that part, being British and all]) Diabetes Month, my birthday (okay, that's not really linked to blogging, it's just another cool thing about November) and.. Yeah, that's it. But the Diabetes Month thing definitely makes November a fitting month to start blogging again.

I come from Sugar Rollercoaster, which petered out around February. I find it easier to restart completely than to revive the dead, in blogging terms, which is why I've moved to here. Sometimes I feel like it's just easier to start over.

This is such an introductiony introduction, but I either have to ramble or just spout off facts about myself, and either is going to be equally strange. The first post on a new blog is always really hard.

I'm Emma, anyway, and I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes on July 6th, 2007. I was on mixtard 30 (NPH and regular premix) for all of six days, before I begged to switch to MDI... Premix was hellish. I'm so glad I was diagnosed in the days when MDI is possible. So, I started on the journey of lantus and novorapid (novolog, to those over the pond). That was relatively uneventful, but not particularly fun either (like any D management is...) but my control was so-so (A1C 7.8, but that was achieved with fairly vast high-low swings). So, on July 31st 2008 I started pumping my insulin with a MM522. My A1C went down to 6.4, but, more importantly, I had better stability and flexibility than I ever had had on shots, and went from taking about 7-8 shots a day to 1 infusion set insertion every 3 days.. Wonderful!

I check my blood glucose about 10-15 times per day, and currently am hypo unaware. I say currently.. It's been about 6 months since I lost awareness, but I still think it might come back.. (;

The story of my D management seems to be getting longer and longer. I remember a few days after diagnosis, all I had to say was "I have type 1 diabetes, I take 2 shots a day." Now I need all the words in the previous paragraph to sum up two and a half short years of my life. I never would have thought this would happen to me, but it has, and I try to keep a (relatively) upbeat attitude about it. It could have been worse. I could have been diagnosed 100 years earlier, in 1907. If I had, I wouldn't even have made it a few more days, let alone two and a half fairly happy and productive years.

Outside of diabetes, I'm in school. I'm 16, and in my first year of sixth form college (lasts two years), studying biology, chemistry, maths, philosophy and critical thinking, and doing a long project on the psychology of religion. After that, I hope to go to university (maybe for a philosophy or psychology degree), and maybe be a teacher some day. I work at the weekends doing secretarial "stuff" at my parents' VAT consultancy firm, and I'm trying to earn enough money to get myself a continuous glucose monitoring system (which I trialled in the summer break). I'm currently working on getting funding for the sensors, because I will never be able to earn enough money at 16 to pay for the system AND the consumables.

I get through books like they're candy, and I spend most of my time on the computer. I also intermittantly play guitar to a low standard and draw to a slightly better but still not overly impressive standard.

Oh, I will also be posting my blood glucose with each blog. Because I don't think it's anything to be ashamed of, and it probably will have an effect on how I write. I have a suspicion that I have a tendency to ramble when it is high, and am maybe a little irritable when low... Interested to see how true that is.

This has been a ridiculously long post. I think I will officially end it here. Of course, nobody will be reading yet, but if anybody does stumble upon me, say hi. (That is, if you could cope with the incessant rambling above.) And feel free to ask any questions.. I'm sure I missed something vital. The title of this post was such a lie.

No comments:

Post a Comment